One of my favorite candy to eat is whoppers and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the strawberry ones. Artificial flavoring, sure but I love them. I decided to try and make some cupcakes that taste like them. I knew it would be hard I just needed to add malted milk powder to get that malt taste. I would have added even more powder than i did but I think it would have buried the strawberry flavor because I used fresh strawberry, not extract. I think the cake is delicious and moist and not too sweet which is good because the frosting is!
The frosting has the flecks of strawberry through it, I love the way it turned out..
Someday I will cover how to make pretty strawberry garnishes in a how-to series here on my blog… I love strawberries!
- 1 pint. Fresh Strawberries
- 1 C. Malted Milk Powder
- 1½ C. Flour, sifted
- ¼ Tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick butter, room temp.
- 1 C. Sugar
- ¼ C. milk, room temperature
- 2 TBS. heavy Cream (omit this if using whole milk)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 Large egg whites
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees/f and line your pan with papers. I used Wilton cups they rock.
- Hull the strawberries and puree them in a blender. Set Aside.
- In stand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well again until light and fluffy.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, and malt powder set aside.
- Mix your milk and ¾ C. of the puree, heavy cream and the vanilla. Set aside.
- Slowly add half the flour mixture and mix until just combined
- Add the milk mixture.
- Add the other half of the flour mixture.
- Add the egg whites and egg slowly and mix until combined well.
- Portion into your cups and bake for 22-25 minutes. Cakes will NOT be pink, add red food color if you want them pink.
3 1/2 C. Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 C. Butter, unsalted (2 sticks)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 C. Strawberry Puree
Cream the butter, then slowly add the sugar with mixer on low. Add the vanilla and finally the strawberry and increase the speed to mix it well. If you don’t want flecks and things in your frosting then run the puree through a chinois (strainer) a couple times. Use leftover puree to make yourself a delicious strawberry milkshake!