Pain Perdu…seems like a fancy term, huh? Pain Perdu in french means “Lost Bread”. It is basically french toast but made with older bread. If you have some staling bread no matter the kind, you have Pain Perdu on your hands! It is pronounced “pan per-do” , there is no pain involved. There are variations that call for adding flour and butter (roux) to the eggs to make a more custard like dip for the bread but I am pretty sure this easy version will taste just as good, less fattening too (unless you count the homemade whipped cream, which for sure is not low fat, lol)
- 6 pieces of bread, old bread, french bread is my fave
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 C. Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- Fresh Berries
- 2 T Vanilla extract, divided.
- Soak your bread in the eggs with 1T of the vanilla.
- Fry your bread until it is nice and light brown.
- For the whipped cream, in a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the heavy cream and vanilla until it starts to thicken and turn light. Then add the sugar and whip.
- Add your berries and cream to the french toast and voila!
Serves 2 if you are hungry, or 3 if you share 🙂