When an old blogging buddy asks me if she can send some delicious all natural pie filling for me to try and talk to my readers about, I of course will say yes. Not because it is pie filling but because this great person has been a blogging friend of mine for a long time and knows that not only am I an aspiring chef but also that I much prefer organic and real food. Grandma Hoerner”s is a company that applies home cooking logic to providing delicious goods to the consumers. They cook things like jelly’s, pie fillings and chutneys all in small batches and everything they put in them is natural, no funny artificial ingredients here! NO HFCS!
When my friend asked me to try the pie filling I thought immediately about finally being able to use my mini tart pan that I got months ago. I knew that the Spiced Peach pie filling would be perfect and that I just needed the perfect topping. Homemade peach whipped cream of course!
I couldn’t help but taste that filling before I used it. I HAD to know how “sweet” it was.
Since my whipped cream is not usually overly sweet, I aimed for a lighter taste to balance the rich butter flavor of the homemade crust. The spices and sweetness were just right in the filling, if they had been too sweet I might have had to try something else. In the end the cream and the lemon zest played perfectly off the sweet (not not too sweet!) peaches and spices and the delicious buttery crust. And because I made mini tarts, they were just the right size for a perfect portion dessert 🙂
The packaging on the products I got were all top notch, made with the purpose of sealing in the just cooked flavor. The taste is out of this world delicious, quite literally the same flavors of a home made peach pie that your grandma made famous in the 1920’s. Really good stuff here, and I for one completely feel great telling you, my wonderful readers about this great company out in Kansas that has the most delicious pie filling I have ever used! For about ten bucks or so for a big jar of natural filling, I think its priced just right. Get your Grandma Hoerner’s Goodies HERE!!
For this recipe you will need:
Mini Tart Pan (or you could use a cupcake pan and make rustic style edges)
Tart Dough (refrigerate for at least 2 hours)
- Dough: Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixer(or bowl if by hand), then add the butter a piece at a time. Mix until the texture resembles a cornmeal, then add water a TBS at a time. It should hold together but not stick to your fingers. If it is too dry, add ice water as needed.
- Separate dough into halves and flatten into discs, wrap in plastic, then refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough into ¼ inch or less thickness. If you have the kit it is real easy, use the cutter. If not, a glass rim or medium circle cookie cutter.
- Place pieces over the pan and press in, again, super easy with the tamper from the kit but you can use your fingers, tart should be about ¾ inch tall.
- Place 2 TBS. of pie filling in tarts, then bake for 12 minutes, turn the pan, then bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Place pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes before taking tarts out to cool directly on the rack. (hint: you can make you whipped cream while they cool)
- Pipe your cream using a large star and then add a few pieces of lemon zest for garnish.
*products and a thank you gift were provided to me to facilitate the review. I ate the product. I am not ashamed to say I even licked my spoon.