This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are mine alone #SmartWayToShareJoy #CollectiveBias
If there is one thing that brings back Holiday memories for me it is one simple cake that my mom used to make called Coca-Cola cake. She wasn’t much of a baker but we LOVED when she made this cake. There is actual Coca-Cola in the cake. In her version there was a very thin chocolate icing that she would pour on the top. Basically the cake was mostly chocolate with a spicy twist thanks to the Coca-Cola. I decided to take a spin on her recipe and turn it into cupcakes but add a very different frosting. My parents live in Florida now and I miss them during the Holidays but my mom and I will both make this cake and chat on messenger and we remember family coming together. I have 5 siblings, and it used to get crazy but we loved being together. I miss that togetherness sometimes, but life goes on, people move, and you just strive to hang on to family traditions as much as you can.
For this recipe I headed to my local Family Dollar to pick up some limited time Holiday aluminum bottles of Coca-Cola:
My visit to Family Dollar was almost dangerous to my wallet because they have so many great items at low prices and right now, SO many cool holiday gifts to find there! I grabbed some bottles and headed home to make the cupcakes. At first I thought I would make it easy on you all and use a box mix but that would be cheating, right? Nope, this is from scratch and delicious!
Coca-Cola Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting
Yield: 12-14 Cupcakes
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa plus 2 TBS.
3/4 C. All Purpose flour
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 TSP. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Melt butter, then add 2 TBS of cocoa and the Coca-Cola in a small saucepan. Let mixture cool.
- Mix cocoa, flour, sugars, baking soda and powder, and the salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla, and the cooled cola mixture.
- Whisk until smooth but do not over-mix, batter will be slightly runny.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 to 3/4 full of mixture
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Frost, and enjoy!
Yield: 2 Cups
1/2 C. butter, softened
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 – 3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C. milk
1 TSP vanilla
- Melt the butter in medium saucepan.
- Add the cocoa and stir until mixed, and becomes thick; remove from heat.
- Mix the milk and vanilla together
- Add the milk mixture and powdered sugar alternating as you mix, until you reach desired consistency.
Looks delicious, right? What type of Holiday traditions do you enjoy? Is there a favorite cake or dessert you like to prepare with your family? Head to Family Dollar to save lots of money on those ingredients and grab some gifts too!