It’s extremely hard to find real fresh tomatoes in the middle of winter, like right now. I like to buy organic tomatoes but even then they aren’t always picked at the right time, they get picked early and are ripened artificially. I LOVE my fresh tomatoes but when push comes to shove and the good tomatoes are gone, I turn to canned tomatoes for my sauces and in this case, Red Gold. Did you know that Michigan, the state I live in, is the ideal state to grow tomatoes? This makes me proud of our state, and put me completely on board when Red Gold asked me to try their tomatoes.
For this little test, I put my 14 year old budding chef (ok the truth is I want this kid to know how to make more than ramen in college) to work and decided he would make Baked Ziti. I used the Tomato Sauce, Crushed Tomatoes and Stewed Tomatoes from Red Gold. It was easy for my kid to mix since it was from cans and he made the sauce and noodles, mixed, topped with cheese and baked.
It is that simple! But ohhhhh look at the yummy result!
- 3 cans Red Gold tomatoes 14.5 oz (stewed, sauce and crushed were used here)
- 1.5 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 lb ziti noodles cooked and drained
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup garlic, minced
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ½ TSP dried basil
- 1 TBS Herbs de Provence
- ½ TSP sea salt
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 3 TBS sugar
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees/f
- Sweat the garlic and onion in olive oil. If you want to save time, used powdered versions of the onion and garlic, ½ tsp each)
- Add the tomatoes, and the rest of the herbs and salt and pepper
- Add the cooked ground beef and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Mix your sauce and ziti together and add half the mixture to a 9X11 pan, cover with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then add the rest and repeat the cheese.
- Bake at 355/F for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is nice and golden.
Extra Entries: Do any of these for an extra entry: (leave a separate comment for each entry)
- Like Red Gold Tomatoes on Facebook
- Like Serendipity Mommy on Facebook
- leave a RELEVANT comment on any non giveaway post
- Follow me on Twitter
- Follow Red Gold Tomatoes on Twitter
- Tweet this giveaway (4X a day)
Win a Red Gold Tomatoes Prize Pack from Serendipity Mommy and @redgoldtomatoes! http://bit.ly/wywoSA Ends 3/7 @candyclc
- Subscribe to my blog for FIVE entries!
This contest has ended. The winner is comment #35!
Red Gold sent me 6 cans of tomatoes to try. And I LOVE them.