I am not one to back down from someone asking me to come up with a recipe for baking. In this instance the challenge was to swap out my usual flour for Ultragrain® All Purpose Flour.
Ultragrain All-Purpose Flour with Whole Grain tastes like normal refined white flour but has 30% Ultragain® whole wheat, giving it 9 grams of grain per serving and twice the fiber of other all-purpose flours. That means that my cupcakes are healthier than the usual ones and also I could tell the difference in the weight of the cakes. I adjusted my recipe to account for some density and ended up making something spectacular…
CANDY CANE CUPCAKES!
Don’t you just want to dig into that thing and see the inside?
Don’t they look tasty?
So you want the recipe do ya? Well first and foremost gather your goodies, cupcake wrappers decorations and of course you Ultragrain® Flour! (yep the candy cane twirls are Wilton!) And please PLEASE listen when I say use room temp ingredients they mix easier and all fundamentals of baking a cake from scratch call for it. Just set your stuff out a 1/2 hour before prep.
- 2½ Cups Ultragrain® All Purpose flour, sifted
- 2½ TSP Baking Soda
- ½ TSP Salt
- 2 egg whites, room temp , another bowl with 3 egg whites, room temp
- 1 TSP sugar
- 1 C. Milk, room temp
- 1 TSP Peppermint Extract (I used Watkins)
- 1 C. unsalted butter room temp (2 sticks NOT margarine!)
- 1½ C. Bakers Sugar
- 1 TSP. Red food color (I use Wilton no taste it looks like a little paint jar)
- Crushed peppermint candy canes
- Wilton Candy Curls for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line your cupcake pan with wrappers
- Sift your flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set side
- Whisk the 2 egg whites for bout a minute just to break the membranes .
- Add the peppermint to the milk and stir, set aside.
- Place butter in stand mixer and cream on medium speed for about 40 seconds. Add the bakers sugar in a steady stream. Keep o medium and mix until fluffy and doubled in volume. Scrape the sides of the bowl a couple times during this process.
- Add the 2 egg whites one TBS at a time and mix for a few more minutes, again scraping the sides down as needed. When this mixture is done it will look like cream cheese but whipped so its lighter.
- Add ¼ of the flour mixture and ⅓ of the milk mixture and stir with a rubber spatula. Alternate until ingredients are used and use the flour last.
- Whisk the egg whites with either a hand mixer or hand whisk (I did it by hand) If you are using the mixer, turn it up after 30 seconds and add the TSP of granulated sugar. (if doing by hand, wait until the egg whites have turned to thick foam) continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold egg whites into the batter and completely incorporate them. They add both a liquid and a "fluffy" agent to help the batter structure.
- Split the batter in half and color one red. I only used 1 TSP it was plenty.
- Add your batter to the cups. I used a medium cookie scoop in each color and put a scoop of each and then I took a butter knife to swirl. You can leave them and have half white half red cakes or layer the scoops on one another to make a vertical stripe.
- Cook for 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost , sprinkle on some crushed candy canes and top with the candy curl 🙂
Butter Cream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners’/icing sugar
3 T milk
- Cream butter in stand mixer
- Add vanilla
- Gradually add the sugar 1 cup at a time
- When mixture is dry add the milk until it reaches the consistency you want.
I WIN!! If my post gets the most comments, I WIN A KITCHENAID MIXER (perfect for building my pastry business someday!)
YOU WIN!! YOU CAN HAVE A CHANCE TO BAKE THESE CUPCAKES USING THE TOOLS IN THIS GIFT BASKET!
- A Martha Stewart Cupcake Tower
- 3 Martha Stewart Mixing Bowls
- Holiday Cupcake Liners
- A Martha Stewart flour sifter
- and a sample of Ultragrain® All-Purpose Flour.
How to enter to win this gift bag – TELL ME WHICH HOLIDAY OR FAMILY RECIPE YOU WANT TO SWAP ULTRAGRAIN® ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR IN PLACE OF STANDARD FLOUR – LEAVE THE RECIPE IN A COMMENT OR LINK TO IT! (this is mandatory, you MUST link a recipe or post one because the sponsor will not count generic entries and I will delete entries that don’t follow the rules, and since there is only one I hope you take the time to follow it)
Rules: You can enter more than one recipe, make a new comment for each but every comment you leave me has to be original.
Extra entries: You can get one extra entry for each of these-
Tweet it – Tweet this contest, link to it and get an extra entry (1 time only)
Win a Martha Stewart Baking Prize Pack from Ultragrain Flour and Serendipity Mommy! http://bit.ly/syVtQQ #contest #holiday
Facebook It – Share on Facebook, link to it, and get an extra entry
Blog about it – Blog about the contest, include Serendipity Mommy and Ultragrain® and link to both, and get an extra entry
This contest ends December 15th at 11:59 CST. The winner of the gift basket will be notified and have 48 hours to claim prize.
This post was written as part of a compensated campaign with Ultragrain, but my review and opinions are my own.